Are you looking for affordable water heater repair in Beaumont, TX? Our team can help! We work with home and business owners to provide them with water heater installation and repair. Whether you just want to schedule routine maintenance to keep your unit operating energy efficient or you are interested in making the switch to a tankless water heater, we can help you!
Bob Villa shares the following tips to help you identify warning signs with your appliance.
Signs Your Water Heater Might Be on Its Last Legs
More than just maintaining your water heater according to the manufacturer’s instructions, it’s important to regularly check the performance of a hot water heater to make sure it’s performing optimally. Even though all appliances have an average lifespan that’s based on typical use, it’s a good idea to start shopping for a replacement if you notice any of the following signs.
- A banging or rumbling noise often occurs near the end of a water heater’s lifespan. While manufacturers recommend annual flushing of a tank-style water heater—and it’s a requirement for keeping a warranty in effect—few people actually follow that suggestion, so calcium buildup from hard water collects in the bottom of the tank. The sediment builds, hardens, and eventually forms a thick crust that can cause the water heater to creak and bang when in use.
- The hot water smells odd. If there is a weird smell or taste to the hot water, then something may be contaminating the water tank. It could be metal that’s absorbed in the water, or it could be bacteria collecting inside the tank. If cleaning the tank doesn’t solve the problem, it may be time to call a plumber.
- Tinted hot water, either red or dirty yellow, coming from any faucet could mean rust. It’s important to determine whether the discoloration also appears when the cold water is running. If not, a corrosion problem probably originates inside the water heater rather than within any rusting galvanized piping.
- A drop in water temperature may happen. If water doesn’t heat up as much as it used to or it doesn’t stay at the desired temperature for as long, the water heater may be nearing the end of its service life.
- There’s less hot water than there used to be. Buildup of sediment can happen inside the water tank over time and decrease the space inside the tank for water. If the hot water is running out quicker, the tank may need to be drained and cleaned. Waiting too long to clean the tank may force a replacement.
- Water pooling around the base of a water heater tank also suggests bad news. First, check to make sure the leak isn’t coming from a fitting or valve that just needs to be tightened or replaced. Call in a professional to check out the problem and perform any necessary maintenance. If you find the leak comes from the tank itself, it may be cracked or corroded internally.
- Hard water is affecting the water quality. Hard water wreaks havoc on a water heater and can reduce its service life by 2 or more years. If you notice white limescale building up on plumbing surfaces, the water heater may need to be replaced more often.
- Location can affect the heater’s lifespan. Water heaters located in garages or crawl spaces, where the temperature drops significantly, have to work harder to heat the water, and they tend to wear out more quickly than units installed in a temperature-controlled house. If either of those elements factor into your setup, start looking for end-of-life warning signs earlier than the manufacturer recommends.
Professional and Quick Plumber Near Me
At Spindletop Plumbing LLC, nothing means more to us than the happiness and satisfaction of our customers. We are a state-licensed and insured, locally owned, service and repair plumbing company located in Nederland, Texas. Our skilled and experienced staff offers a wide range of reliable plumbing services to both residential and commercial spaces. We proudly serve the many communities of Southeast Texas, including Beaumont, Bridge City, Groves, Lumberton, Mauriceville, Orange, Port Arthur, Port Neches, Silsbee, and Vidor. From small repairs to major reconstructions, our team is here to find the best plumbing solutions for your space. Contact us today to learn more about the services we offer and how we can increase the functionality of your space.