Home and business owners alike rely on their water heaters to perform many necessary tasks. Having a dysfunctional or unreliable water heater can get in the way of keeping your space clean and operable.
Our established plumbing experts work with you to quickly identify and correct any problems with your water heater and plumbing system. At the first sign of an issue or change with your water heater, contact the professionals at Spindletop Plumbing in Beaumont, Texas.
The most common causes of leaks are:
- Pressure relief valve — Replace the valve to stop the leak.
- Ball valve — Tighten the nut securing the handle.
- Loose connection or stripped threaded nipple — If the leak originates from the top of the heater and is caused by neither of the above, a loose connection or stripped threaded needle is the likely culprit.
- Drain valve — Make sure the valve is closed properly. If that doesn’t help, replace the valve.
- Condensation — Switch off the heater for a few hours. If this solves the problem, lower the temperature on the thermostat.
- Tank — A leak from the bottom that isn’t due to any of the above usually means the entire heater needs replacing.
A Lack of Hot Water
- There are a few reasons why a water heater may be producing insufficient or no hot water:
- Circuit breaker — Check if the breaker is tripped.
- High-temperature limit — Push the high-temperature cutoff reset button.
- Heating elements — If the above doesn’t help, test each of the heating elements by touching the screws with a tester probe.
- Thermostat — Water that is not hot enough is often due to a low temperature on the thermostats.
- Small tank — Ask the homeowners if their water needs have increased, as it may be that they need to upgrade to a more powerful heater.
- Dip tube — Drain the tank and replace the dip tube.
Too Hot Water
Some homeowners are unaware that they need to adjust their water heater thermostats in the summer to stop water from being too hot in the warm weather. If you find that the thermostats are set to the right temperature, they may be broken — use a multimeter to test them for continuity.
Slow Water Heater
An electric heater that is slower than normal usually has a problem with either the heating elements (check with a testing probe) or the thermostats (check with a multimeter).
For gas units, check the heater is set to the right gas pressure. If this doesn’t do the trick, clean the burner orifices.
Dirty, rusty, or smelly water is a sign the anode rod in the heater needs changing. After doing this, flush the tank.
Noisy Water Heater
Look for leaks and check the pressure valve. If these are fine, clean the heater.
A drop in water pressure usually means it’s time to clean the heater. Alternatively, it may be necessary to update from ½-inch galvanizing piping to ¾-inch piping.
Affordable Plumbers in Beaumont, TX
At Spindletop Plumbing LLC, nothing means more to us than the happiness and satisfaction of our customers. We are a state-licensed and insured, locally owned, service and repair plumbing company located in Nederland, Texas.
Our skilled and experienced staff offers a wide range of reliable plumbing services to both residential and commercial spaces. We proudly serve the many communities of Southeast Texas, including Beaumont, Bridge City, Groves, Lumberton, Mauriceville, Orange, Port Arthur, Port Neches, Silsbee, and Vidor. From small repairs to major reconstructions, our team is here to find the best plumbing solutions for your space.
Contact us today to learn more about the services we offer and how we can increase the functionality of your space.